02 January 2007

The Party

This very short story was written as a time and word constrained exercise at my creative writing group.

The Party

It’s going to be a great night, even if I have to move hell and high water to get there on time. It’s my best friend’s birthday and Rob has gone to so much trouble to arrange the party, I have to be on time, just this once. I’m leaving work early today so everyone’s getting the answer-phone for the last hour. Can’t be dealing with an Irene crisis when I need to be somewhere!

---

Home at last. Late of course, I forgot about school traffic! I’ll have to move like a Duracell bunny on acid to make it on time. I can’t let Susie down though, she’s been my walking, talking diary forever and I owe her.

Taxi phoned, hair done, make-up done, dress ironed, check feet to make sure I’m not wearing slippers. Breathe!

---

Something weird’s going on. The pub’s empty, except for a couple of old-timers nursing their usual half of Guinness and Stan doesn’t look as if he’s expecting a crowd. The back room’s locked as well and it’s not as if I’m early, it’s 10 past 7. Not bad for me actually! I hope I’ve got the right pub, can’t check with Susie of course ‘cos it’s supposed to be a surprise. Or maybe I’ve got the wrong night. Think of an excuse, phone, find out where she is.

---

It’s not until the third ring I realise a phone is ringing at exactly the same time through the wall! And I can hear shuffling and the odd stifled cough. I looked over at Stan who has a strange expression on his face, as though he’s desperately trying to stem a yawn. The door to the back room clicks softly open and my best friend is standing there with a huge grin on her face. “I knew you’d ring eventually” she laughs. “and I knew you’d have forgotten what day it is” she adds with a sly grin.

---

My wedding day was supposed to be the happiest day of my life but this surprise divorce party beats it hands down!

No comments: